Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Oatmeal Freeze Cookies

These are one of my absolute favorite things to eat ever! I make them before I go to bed and eat a few in the morning for breakfast!  They are pretty healthy too, because they are made with oatmeal and banana, and cocoa powder isn't that bad for you either.

Ingredients:
1/2 a cup of quick oats
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I use Hersheys)
1 to 2 tablespoons of Truvia (you can also use Stevia or Splenda)
1/2 of a large frozen banana
1 tablespoon of your choice of milk (I use almond milk)
1 and 1/2 cups of water

Directions:
-In a small pot, boil the water on the stove top, and then add the oats.  Once the oats get thick, turn off the burner and add the cocoa powder and Truvia.
-In a microwave safe bowl or mug (I usually use the mug) heat the banana and milk on high for 15 seconds, stir, then heat again on high for 15 seconds.  Add to the oats.  Mix very well.
-On wax paper, or paper plates (the waxy kind) drop oatmeal mixture by tablespoonful, keeping them far enough apart so they don't touch.  I usually can get about 16 blobs, so I end up using 2 or 3 plates.  Freeze for a few hours or over-night, then enjoy!

Variations:
-Add 1-2 tablespoons of nuts (slivered almonds are my favorite in this)
-Add 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter (crunchy is my favorite, or coconut peanut butter...)
-Use 1/4 a cup of quick oats and 1.5 tablespoons of cream of wheat
-Use 1/4 a cup of quick oats and 1/4 a cup of oat bran
-Add 2-3 tablespoons of shredded unsweetened coconut
This recipe is so low calorie, you could eat it as oatmeal too. I calculated it to be 228 calories. Which is surprisingly good.  That would make it 14.25 calories per cookie! A great snack if you ask me. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment